Monday, June 8, 2009

They're On A Boat

My cousins, Katie and Elizabeth McPhail, are spending their summer riding their Duroboat around the Great Loop, a journey that begins on Lake Michigan and winds along the Chicago River, eventually down the Mississippi, into the Gulf of Mexico, along the east coast of the U.S. and into Canada, then back through the Great Lakes to Chicago. They will be the first women ever to complete this trip.

Traditionally, having women on a boat has been seen as bad luck. The McPhail sisters intend to show that hard work and determination can overcome this handicap.

The two will also be braving the recent outbreak of pirates all over the globe. But they are confident that Hil-dawg Clinton will have their backs.

You may recognize the Duroboat brand from its brief appearance in the movie Free Willy. Hopefully the siblings will have better luck. They don't expect to see whales on the trip, but the occasional alligator or water moccasin may cause some trouble.

I may join them for a bit on the east coast, perhaps meeting them near DC and heading up to New York!

You can follow the McPhails on YouTube, Facebook, or Twitter.

5 comments:

  1. I don't know how I stumbled on this blog, but two things:

    1) I like it. You're funny.
    2) Is this true, are they really the first women to do this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1)Thanks!
    2)They researched the Great Loop trip and have not found any other two women teams who have completed the trip. From what I know, they are the first women to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn, that sounds like a sweet trip! I've never heard of the great loop till now

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does sound like fun! I hope I can join them later this summer on the east coast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this is so awesome! I just watched the YouTube video. I wish them the best of luck. :)

    ReplyDelete