Monday, June 15, 2009

Too Late to 'Pologize

David Letterman recently apologized for his joke about Sarah Palin's daughter being knocked-up by A-Rod. He claimed the joke was aimed at her 18-year old daughter, but was taken to mean that it was addressed to her 14-year old daughter. He takes full responsibility for his words.

I think it's great that Letterman apologized, but in my opinion he apologized for the wrong reason. What he should have apologized for is the fact that his joke was about as funny as a clitoridectomy with a rusty butter knife.

If Letterman's long and successful career proves anything, it's that he is better than this and fully capable of writing hilarious material. But a comedian who tells jokes that aren't funny is like a supermodel who has no gag reflex. You can't be a supermodel without puking up your Funyons and you can't be a comedian without good jokes.

Then again Seinfeld has made a career out of being an unfunny comedian, so I could be wrong.

I'm a Conan fan anyway.

Send your hate mail to John Obler.

5 comments:

  1. Booooo, hissssssssssssssss. You like Dane Cook.

    But anyway, about Letterman. I still haven't seen/heard the actual joke, but I've seen some interviews with Sarah Palin afterwards. The very idea that something as stupid as a poor Letterman joke can cause so much of a stir really surprises me. Why didn't Palin just let it go? I hope she realizes that by reacting the way she did, not only did she help spread the joke around, but she also gave much more attention to Letterman than he previously had. I'll bet his ratings have gone up...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the Republicans made a big deal about it because Letterman's brand of humor is usually pretty clearly leftist. It's like when Rush Limbaugh makes stupid comments about Michael J. Fox and the left makes a big deal about it.

    It definitely increased Letterman's ratings. My parents tuned in just to see what he would say about the situation the day after Palin made her comments.

    Then again, I'm sticking to Conan. And everything Dane Cook has done since his first album is meh at best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Conan > everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well said, sir. well said.

    ReplyDelete