Sunday, November 29, 2009

"Hi, I'm Wearing 50 Pairs of Underwear"

Inspired by an event that took place not five minutes ago:

A knock on my door. I open it.

Girl: Hi. I'm wearing 50 pairs of underwear. I'm raising 50 pounds for [whatever cause she was supporting]. Will you... pay me?

My inner thoughts: I'd rather you weren't wearing any underwear. In fact, I'd be more likely to pay you for that.

What I actually said: Sure.

Gave her 4 pounds. Didn't bother to count the pairs of underwear.

I'm all for raising money for causes. Usually I support causes without even knowing what causes they are (see instance above). What I am not for is doing stupid things to "raise awareness" for something.

Just ask me for money. I'm supporting the cause, not you wearing 50 articles of clothing or walking 5 k or attempting to fit as many popsicles into every orifice of your body as possible. Don't cause more suffering to eliminate suffering.

1 comment: