Monday, September 26, 2011

Jumping Ponds: American Stereotypes


Re-posted from Jumping Ponds, 9/18/2009

So I just made friends from all over the world. Literally everywhere. Like Sri Lanka, Mexico, Canada, the UK, and even America.

So my new friends wanted to treat my American friend, Stefan, and I to pizza from the UK. That sounded fine to us. So they asked what kind of pizza we would like.

Stefan was like, "Pepperoni ok with you?" And of course I was like "YEAH!" (Well, maybe I exaggerate the enthusiasm, but you get the point.)

Everyone started laughing at us. They were like, "That is the most stereotypical American pizza you could possibly order." Apparently every American movie or show where pizza is being ordered, we pick pepperoni. But in other countries, this is not the first choice.

So we got a pepperoni pizza. They also ordered a Hawaiian pizza (pineapple and bacon) and a pizza with chicken and mushroom. Yeah, chicken and mushroom.

All the pizzas were great. Of course they weren't as good as authentic pizza from Chicago, but they were far far above any pizza chain like Papa John's or Domino's.

As for the stereotype that all Americans love pepperoni pizza, we'll call that one true.

Stay tuned for more stereotypes.

1 comment:

  1. Call me stereotypical, but hold the chicken and pineapple, please. I'll take one very large pizza covered with tons of pepperoni!

    ReplyDelete